How do I obtain a Marriage License?

Due to the limited hours the Town Hall is open to the Public in the morning,
we are fulfilling Marriage License applications BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Monday - Friday 1:00 pm - 4:00pm

  1. Please contact the Town Clerk at 603-890-2110 to schedule an appointment. Appointments are first come-first serve and only when available. We encourage couples to request an appointment no more than 2-weeks from date of ceremony. If this timing is not acceptable, please contact other Town/City Halls within the State of NH.  
  2. Once an appointment has been made, please bring the following with you to the Town Hall:
    1. Photo IDs (current Driver's License or Passport)
    2. Birth certificates, original or photocopies (a passport does NOT take the place of a birth certificate)
    3. If previously married and divorced/annuled: the original, certified Final Divorce Decree (Divorce NISI's are not acceptable) or Annulment of the most recent marriage
    4. If previously married with a deceased spouse: the original, certified Death Certificate of the spouse
    5. If any of your documents are not in English, then they must be translated into English and notarized.
    6. $50.00 check or money order made payable to the "Town of Salem"
  3. Both you AND your fiancée must be present on the Town Hall premises to complete the Certificate of Intention of Marriage (Marriage License Application).
  4. Please allow yourself 30-45 minutes to complete the entire application process.
  5. Once the process is completed, the applicants will leave with a NH Marriage License that is valid for 90 days. The Officiant will complete their portion of the license following their presiding over the marriage ceremony, civil or religious. The license MUST be returned to the Salem Town Clerk within 6 days from the marriage ceremony for entry into the NH Vital Records database. 
  6. Marriage Certificates can be requested and purchased from any NH-based town or city once the marriage information has been reported to the NH Vital Records Division.
    Please see the Town of Salem's procedures for attaining Marriage Certificates: Vital Records Request