The mission of the Streets and Shops Section is to effectively maintain the towns roadway infrastructure for the safest possible travel while being cost conscience and efficient.
The Highway Department is a dedicated group of individuals who work long hours, weekdays, weekends and holidays to assure the residents of Salem they will have a safe travel. The Highway Department is dedicated to serving the Town with the highest levels of performance, efficiency, and courtesy. The Highway Department performs the following functions:
- Maintain all town streets and sidewalks
- Maintain municipal parks, playgrounds and recreational facilities
- Maintain all municipal buildings
- Performs snow removal operations
- Brush clearing – keeping all intersections clear & safe
- Street Signs
- Contact the Public Works main phone number at 890-2150, fax 890-3882. Hours of operation are 7:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday. (24 hr voice mail) Emergencies may be reported other times by contacting the Fire Department business line at 890-2200.
- The Town of Salem maintains 210 miles of roads. Please call us at 890-2150 to report potholes, catch basin problems, street signs missing, tree or tree limbs down in road, icy roads, or drainage problems.
- To report a street light out call National Grid at 1-800-322-3223.