Solid Waste's mission is to provide oversight of the solid waste received at the transfer station generated by the Town’s residents, private haulers, as well as the operation of the municipalities business and projects.
The transfer station is designed to receive: solid waste, recyclables, brush leaves, white goods, clean scrap metal, propane cylinders, electronic waste, waste motor oil, CRT’s, and batteries. The Transfer Station Foreman monitors the operation including the contracted services to assure that all visitors to the transfer station are permitted while providing direction and guiding for the disposal of various items. In 2017, the transfer station processed 7,963 tons of solid waste, 2,225 tons of recyclables (21.84% recycling rate).
Transfer Station Permits: $15.00 ea.
- If you have any questions, you can call (603) 890-2164, Tuesday through Saturday. Call ahead of time with your questions and this could save you time.
- Permit/Stickers are required. Permanently affix stickers on the inside top left of the window. This is strictly enforced!
- The Salem Transfer Station is located on Shannon Road. Hours of operation are Tuesdays through Saturdays, 7:00am to 2:45pm. On Wednesday, it is open until 6:45pm.
- Stickers for the Transfer Station may be obtained at the Town Clerk/Collections office located in the Town Hall. A vehicle registration is required. Transfer Station stickers are valid from April 1st through March 31st.
- Transfer Station is for residents only. Businesses must make arrangements with private trash/refuse haulers for solid waste removal.
- Commercial Hauler questions, contact the Transfer Station at (603) 890-2164.
- Three Bulky Coupons are issued once per household per year
- Bulky coupons number must match the sticker number on the vehicle
Bulky Coupons are used for furniture, chairs, couches, stuffed furniture, mattresses, box springs, carpet, vinyl, siding, etc.
- Bulky coupons are not needed for metal and brush/leaves.
- Town residents over the age of 65 receive their first permit of the year for free
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day
In 2019, Household Hazaroud Waste Day will be held on Saturday, November 9, 2019. The schedule changes every year pending approval of funds in annual budget. Also, there is a sign posted at the entrance of the Transfer Station noting the Household Hazardous Waste Day date. For more information click the following link.