JOB TITLE: PART TIME ASSESSING/FINANCE CLERK
JOB CLASSIFICATION: CLERK II
AFFILIATION: SEA FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT
SUMMARY: Responsible for acting as a liaison between residents and the town. Assists with complaints, account questions, billing, and other queries as they pertain to tax assessments and water and sewer utility accounts. This position is also responsible for a variety of clerical duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (The following is illustrative of the duties and responsibilities associated with the position and is not intended to be all-inclusive.)
Assists the public with questions and information regarding property assessments and utility billing matters including guiding customers on utilizing online tools.
Demonstrates proficient skill in communicating and explaining basic account, abatement, and exemption information to residents for property tax assessments and utility billing. The target is to ensure excellent service standards and maintain high customer satisfaction.
Retrieves, maintains, and enters building permit data.
Maintains and enters sales records data.
Handles complaints, provides appropriate solutions and alternatives, and follows up to ensure resolution.
Provides accurate, valid and complete information using the right methods and tools.
Responsible for creation and maintenance of resident tax files and other departmental records which may need to be accessed and relied upon by other departments.
Updates all property books and lists
Interfaces with other municipal departments and provides information to those departments as necessary.
Performs routine clerical duties including filing and typing memos, letters and notices.
Schedules appointments for Deputy and Chief Assessor.
Provides backup coverage for both assessing and utility billing staff.
Performs other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Chief Assessor and Finance Director.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
- High school diploma or equivalent certificate.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in a position that included considerable public contact.
- Two (2) years of related experience preferred.
- Must have the ability to follow instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to create and maintain accurate records and files.
- Must have the ability to communicate with the public and coworkers in a pleasant and tactful manner, sometimes under unpleasant circumstances.
- Knowledge of billing and cash receipt functions.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office (including Word and Excel) or similar programs and the ability to learn Salem’s Software (i.e. Munismart, Vision, View Works) and other computer applications.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
The full scope of responsibilities associated with this position is outlined in the attached posting & job description. Applicants must submit a current resume or application to:
Town of Salem
Human Resources Department
33 Geremonty Drive
Salem, NH 03079
Open to External Candidates on: 3/25/2020
Closing Date: 4/9/2020