Responsible for the daily operations of the Public Works Division of Municipal Services including being involved with field operations consisting of snow plowing/removal, street maintenance, storm drainage, signs, traffic signals, vehicle maintenance, solid waste, emergency operations and other related duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
(The following is illustrative of the duties and responsibilities associated with the position and is not intended to be all-inclusive.)
- Oversees the daily activities of the Department’s operating division, evaluates the effectiveness of the operations and initiates corrective action when required.
- Oversees and organizes the annual Mill/Overlay Program including bid preparation, public notice, and budget tracking.
- Directs personnel within the division. Responsible for personnel evaluations, discipline, and training plans.
- Responsible for staffing projects and allocating resources appropriately.
- Coordinates, administers, and inspects work for permits falling under the control of Municipal Services including driveway permits and street openings, both private and public, and communicating with Engineering Division and Utilities Division.
- Captures and records cost data associated with daily operations, assists in the preparation of the Department operating and capital improvements budget, and monitors expenditures as directed by the Municipal Services Director.
- Develops and maintains inventories of the Department’s resources (i.e., equipment, material, repair parts, tools, salt, gravel, sand, expendable supplies, and storm drainage) as directed.
- Directly interfaces with contractors, monitors performance of contracts, and reports on quality of work performed on various projects as directed.
- Receives questions and complaints from the public, other Town departments, other governmental offices, and other agencies, investigates the same completely, formulates and recommends the appropriate response to the Municipal Services Director as required.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate preparation of records and reports including annual division budget.
- Maintains divisional recordkeeping and reporting procedures. Administers and updates information relative to the Town infrastructure within the asset management software.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings as directed and may represent the Town and/or Municipal Services Director at such meetings.
- Receives and evaluates plans for review of utilities, roadways, drainage, and other similar attributes, prepares a formal recommendation to the Planning Board for review by the Municipal Services Director, and represents the Department on the planning review committees and boards.
- Prepares invitations for bid, requests for proposals and/or qualifications, including developing specifications.
- On-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Develops seasonal plans, including Winter Operations Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Municipal Services Director.
SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Works Management, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, or related field desirable. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a minimum of ten years of public works experience with no less than four years of management/supervisory experience.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to function well in high pressure and/or emergency situations.
- Ability to project a positive leadership image.
- Ability to plan and supervise a wide variety of projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with the public, contractors, and staff.
- Active participation in related professional organizations.
- Knowledge of the principals and practices associated with the Department’s operation.
- Must be a positive team player who consistently exhibits a professional and courteous manner.
The full scope of responsibilities associated with this position is outlined in the attached posting and job description. Applicants must mail or email a cover letter, current resume and application to:
Town of Salem
Human Resources Department
33 Geremonty Drive
Salem, NH 03079
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Open Until Filled