Burning brush in Salem is allowed following strict rules. A permit is required per NH RSA 227-L:7, and must be obtained at any one of our three (3) fire stations or on-line through the NH Division of Forest and Lands website, prior to any open burning.
Once you have obtained your permit you must follow the
SALEM General Outside Burning Rules
- Permittee must be at least 18 yrs old and the legal landowner or have the landowner's written permission to obtain a permit
- Each time you wish to burn you must call the Salem Fire Burn Permit phone number 603-685-6420 where you will be told if burning is authorized for that specific day. You must call AFTER 4:30 PM.
- On days that it is actively raining or the ground is covered in snow, you may call the regular business number 603-890-2200 and ask if it is OK to burn, this is decided on a case by case basis
- Salem allows burning between 5:00 PM and Midnight
- Fires must be at least 50 feet away from all buildings, decks, sheds,etc
- Exception to #5 - chiminea style unit must be at least 25 feet
- Only clean wood can be burned - No construction debris, no trash, no leaves, no painted wood, no rubber
- Wood should not exceed 5 inches in diameter
- Do NOT use accelerants (gas, oil) to start the fire
- You must have some type of extinguishing equipment on hand (hose, extinguisher) to maintain control of the fire
- You must completely extinguish the fire by midnight before leaving it
Please understand that if the fire department receives a request to check on a fire (permitted or not) we will always come out. That does not mean that someone with a permit has done anything wrong - but we always error on the side of caution and may stop by.