Welcome to the official website for the Town of Salem. We hope you find this website both informative and useful. You will find department-specific information and contact links on each of the department web pages. If you have questions or concerns that are not addressed by the appropriate department, feel free to email the Town Manager's Office or call (603) 890-2120.
Leon I. Goodwin III has been the Town Manager since January 1, 2016. The Town Manager is appointed by a majority of the Board of Selectmen to function as the Chief Executive and Administrative Officer of the Town, responsible for the proper administration of all the departments of Town government. Prior to his appointment as Town Manager, Mr. Goodwin served as Assistant Town Manager - Director of Community Affairs for the Town of Salem.
The Town Manager's Office is supported by Executive Assistant Maureen Witley who is equally capable of answering your questions or addressing your concerns.
In accordance with RSA 37:1, et seq., the Town Manager has the following authority and responsibility:
- The Town Manager carries out policy decisions of the Board of Selectmen, and oversees all property, real and personal, owned by the Town; and
- The Town Manager keeps the Selectmen informed of the Town’s needs and ongoing conditions, and make reports as may be required by law, or requested by the Selectmen, or judged necessary by the Manager; and
- The Town Manager takes part in all discussions which come before the Board of Selectmen, but acts in a nonvoting advisory capacity; and
- The Town Manager is the responsible supervisor for all department heads, and acts to appoint, suspend, remove, or discipline all municipal employees; and
- The Town Manager is responsible for the letting, making, and performance of all contracts for work done for the Town; and
- On an annual basis, the Town Manager provides to the Board of Selectmen an Operating Budget, a Budget Statement, and a long-range Capital Plan, documents that outline the immediate and longer range financial and project plans for the Town.
Mr. Goodwin earned his B.A. in Economics from Clark University and his J.D. from Suffolk University Law School and prior to serving as Town Manager and Assistant Town Manager for Salem, was the Assistant City Attorney for the City of Keene, New Hampshire.