How do I get a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate?

-A A +A

You need to make your request in writing either by mail, in person or on-line. You must be a member of the immediate family (no cousins) or have a direct and tangible interest in the record. The cost of the certified copy is $15.00 for the first copy and $10.00 for any subsequent copies ordered at the same time for the same person. You will need to give the name(s) of the registrant(s) and approximate date of the event. Also you must state your relationship or your interest in the record. As of 1/1/05 NH State Law requires identification when requesting a certified record or search. You will need to send a copy of your picture ID when requesting a record by mail or show picture ID when you come in person.

The only birth and death records on file in a city or town are the records of those events that occurred in the city or town. Marriage records are filed where the couple obtained their license. If you are not sure where the event took place you may contact the State of NH Bureau of Vital Records at 6 Hazen Drive, Concord NH 03301. They have the records for the entire state. Their phone number is (603) 271-4650 and they can accommodate your request using a Master Card or Visa.

In Salem, we are able to obtain birth records for the entire state from 1987 on and death and marriage records from 1990 to the present through our new VRV2000 program.

Forms are available for download from the Town Clerk page.